Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cucumber Soup Recipe

This is a "nonrecipe" for the cold cucumber soup I made when we got together last weekend. I just threw things into the food processor and kept tasting until I liked it. But here is the rough guide.

Big ole bunch of cucumbers. I think I had the equivalent of 4-5 large.
Rice wine vinegar to taste, start with about a quarter of a cup
Buttermilk. Again, this is to taste. I believe I used about a pint.
Salt, fresh ground pepper, herbs. I used sorrel and chives

Cut cukes into medalions and process a little at a time in the food processor. Put through a fine mesh strainer. Once you have all the cukes processed, add vinegar, buttermilk herbs and salt and pepper and some of the cuke juice to the processor and process until fine. Put through the strainer once more. Mix thoroughly and chill 4-5 hours. Taste and adjust (it may need more or less buttermilk, vinegar etc).

Postscript: I made this again and added about a teaspoon of good curry powder. Wow, it was terrific! I also think adding a bit of sweet onion would be very good, too.

1 comment:

  1. We used the curried version, and again, it was good. I was unsure about how much cuke juice to add, and probably should have added more. Also, since we enjoy more texture, I eventually added all the pulp back into the mix. (Probably half of it would have been better.) Still experimenting, but a good starting place.

    ReplyDelete